#aprilintentions day 5
tree pose is always one of my favourites because there is so much room for personal expression and it’s a great pose to feel your own strength, while also being peaceful and serene.
- start in mountain pose (standing straight, looking forward, shoulders back).
- shift your weight gently to one foot while keeping the inner part of the foot flush with the ground. bend the opposite leg and grab for your foot with the hand of the same side.
- place the sole of your foot against your inner thigh - if possible, move the heel into close to the inner groin, with toes pointed to the ground.
- for variations, you can also keep the foot at calf-level! just be sure your foot is either above or below the knee - not pressing against it.
- lengthen your tailbone toward the floor and the crown of your head toward the ceiling, and keep your weight centered over the standing foot, and keep your breathing steady. engage your core here, too!
- use personal expression with the arms! you could bring them into prayer position in front, or extend both arms up high, or do whatever feels great for you.
- feel strong and calm. take five deep breaths and feel each one. if you have the balance, try closing your eyes for a moment while holding your center!
today my intention was focus. i have a lot to accomplish today, but taking this early morning practice to bring everything into perspective and focus on my goals is a wonderful way to begin the day.